|Posted on November 26, 2019 at 12:00 AM||comments (1)|
Top Five Tips for the Right Lingerie
Did you know that most women do not wear the proper size bra? Why is this important? It is all about building an appropriate foundation for a great looking garment. The best looking garments are built from the inside out. Therefore, when it comes to looking and feeling your best, it essential to start with choosing the right undergarments for your body type.
1. A New Bra: For ultimate support, make sure you purchase a new bra every six months. Most of us buy a bra maybe ever six years. My bad!!!
2. For special occasions, like your wedding, you should buy NEW lingerie. This idea cannot be stressed enough. Every Bride Deserves a New Bra is what we as tailors lament.
3. Shapewear: This is designed to smooth everything out so that the garment has a smooth canvas on which to be displayed. So make sure it is not too tight by choosing your right size.
4. Get measured by a professional who specializes in selling lingerie, like Lane Bryant or Bryant’s Bloomers in San Marco, Jacksonville, FL. You cannot accurately measure yourself.
5. Know your body type: Choose a lingerie style according to the areas you want to target. Is it your tummy, thighs, bum? For me, for instance, it is posture, and therefore I need more back support.
Clothing can be walking artwork. Choosing the right lingerie under your garments will create a more beautiful YOU.
For an Alterations appointment, call 904-874-3513
If you are local to Jacksonville, please visit Bryant’s Bloomer’s boutique, 2700 Park St., Jacksonville, FL 32205. Phone: 904-388-0849. FB: https://www.facebook.com/Bloomers-1039939852685823/
|Posted on March 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM||comments (0)|
How Much Does it Cost to Alter this Wedding Dress is a common question that brides ask.
Well, that depends on a few factors if you are a bride who likes to keep track of spending. Those factors include, but not limited to, type of alteration, type of fabric, embellishments and the width and length of the garment. These are a few factors to consider when you are setting a budget for alterations. The most common type of alteration will be the shoulder area, sides in the bodice, waist, hips, and length. The more drastic the change to the garment, the more it will cost.
For instance, if you purchase a size 16 dress that you love and you wear a size 8, you are requiring a tailor to reconstruct (or rebuild) that garment from the top down to the hem. That kind of love will cost you a lot. The type of fabric is another cost factor. Wedding attire often made of flowy fabric like chiffon which is a time-consuming fabric to sew. Therefore, it will cost more to tailor to your specifications. What about the width of the garment? Did you know that the wider the hem, the longer it takes to sew and therefore, more costs?
Nikki's dress was purchased online at LuLu's. Ninety percent (90%) of the time, when a dress is purchased online, it will require some alterations if you plan to look your best for pictures. Remember, pictures last forever these days of the Internet. So it is definately worth it! You can read part 2 if you want to know the value of the alterations for this dress.
Photo compliments of Client/Model: Nikki Turchich, IndigoPinePhotography.com
|Posted on June 2, 2017 at 12:50 AM||comments (0)|
So you just found your dream dress and you're wondering how much do I pay for alterations? Or maybe you didn't think about alterations at all. When I perform a Google search, the best information I found was dated in 2009 on Wedding Bee. They stated it cost about $250 back then. Well, ladies, times have changed and dresses are have more layers than before.
There was a time when garments were produced by seamstresses and tailors whether than manufacturing companies based in China. In China, they work under a very stringent, scientific production process that requires the "worker" to sew under 3 minutes. (YouTube: How is China Dealing with Rising Cost of Labor). However, I have seen them go faster because the worker only sews one side of a zip, for instance. Then someone else on the assembly line will sew the other side. This requires little to no training for the worker-bee and it makes the process very, very fast.
When we alter a dress we customize or trailor the garment to YOUR specifications. The price of an alteration really depends on how the dress was designed, how it was manufactured and how it will fit and feel on YOU. Therefore, the pricing that you see on the internet tends to be all over the map!!! If I had to estimate based on today's market, it is closer to double that amount.
Linda Miller, Expert Alterations Specialist
Custom Alterations, Jacksonville, Florida
|Posted on December 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM||comments (0)|
Posted on August 5, 2016 at 7:45 AM
Do you need a promotion? Do you want to get noticed and have people treat you better? Do you want or need to look your best? Having your clothes tailored/altered to your specifications is the answer to all of these questions. According to Fabulous Fit - 2nd Edition by Judith Rasban and Elizabeth Liechty, "Fit is a state of mind...The clothes you wear influence the way you think, feel, act or behave and the way people react or respond to you." Here are seven good reasons to tailor or alter your clothing:
1. When your garments fit well, they feel good and make you appear slimmer.
2. Clothes that are tailored increase your self-esteem and self-confidence.
3. Tailored clothes create a positive body image by drawing the eye away from figure challenges.
4. Therefore, tailored clothes are more figure flattering and reflect a positive body image.
5. Clothing that fit well feel more comfortable because they are fitted to your natural body movements.
6. Fashion forward clothing are garments that have a classic fit and therefore last longer coupled with a better value.
7. Clothes that fit well command respect. They can make you look taller, richer, smarter and beautiful.
Fit is everything. So find yourself a great seamstress and you will be ready to take on the world by a storm.
Looking good from head to toe!